Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Five Guys Burgers and Fries ~ Southlake, Texas

I mentioned here that the Five Guys chain from the Washington DC area has made its way to NE Tarrant. And so Mrs. RJG and I did a recon mission to the Southlake Town Center, and sure enough, they're open! Mrs. RJG stated they had replaced a Chinese restaurant location, which we never tried. It's two doors down from the Brinker owned Rockfish Grill.

Even though I label Five Guys as a "Corporate Chain", I myself cannot believe how rapidly they've expanded. It was only a few years ago that they were practically a local chain operating in and around Washington DC, and the Maryland / Virginia suburbs, which I visited many times on business. And not too long ago, I was thrilled to find out they had a location in Annapolis, MD. But I would've never dreamed in such a short time that they'd be in DFW! Hopefully they grow similar to Jersey Mike's rather than Quizno's (I remember when Quizno's was just a local Denver chain). Or, God forbid - go public.

Five Guys has mastered one aspect of the fast food experience: The limited menu. It's hamburgers, hot dogs, and the one concession to vegetarians - grilled cheese (I appreciate this as there are times when his business group will include vegetarians and I still get to eat at places like this. For example, In-N-Out Burger doesn't have any options for veggie heads.)

And so with that, it's then paramount that the hamburgers are of a high quality. And indeed they are. A "regular" hamburger is actually two patties, whereas a "little" hamburger is only one. Mrs. RJG said one is more than sufficient (these aren't tiny like a regular Burger King for example). I naturally go for the regular. From there you request your toppings, which are numerous. "It'll be ready in 7 minutes" the girl at the counter stated. That's music to my ears. Nothing is more depressing than having your order ready two seconds after ordering. You order it - and they cook it. Sure, sometimes they'll have a head start, but not by much. They don't, as a rule, want burgers sitting around. So the burger usually comes out searing hot. I've burned the roof of my mouth more than once at the Reston, VA location. And the Southlake franchise upholds this tradition. As stated in the prior post, the taste is closest to Kincaid's overall. The fries are fresh cut potatoes, and they even tell you where the potatoes were grown (Burleson, Idaho I think was this day's special). And, while you're waiting those 7 minutes, grab a handful of peanuts that are sitting everywhere and munch down as many you can eat. Just like chips at a Mexican restaurant.

All Five Guys locations have a red and white checkered tile look. The walls feature the numerous articles that have been featured on Five Guys, many of them from the Washingtonian, a local magazine similar to "D".

Website

Five Guys Burgers and Fries on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Cowboy fan, burger junkie, GodFather of Tech said...

OH. My. Gosh.

I can't wait to go get a burger and some cajun fries (hope they have them here).

I have been to a couple in the VA and DC area and I was never, never disappointed.

I can't wait to review them for my Burger blog.

Mr. Jose said...

I'm looking forward to reading your review!